Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Common Core, Daily 5, and Curriculum Mash Up!

 Here in Florida, we are just starting to implement Common Core- Math and Reading/Language Arts. Last school year kindergarten started using it and now it is first grade's turn.

 

 We already adopted a new math series last year so that won't be changing anytime soon. Luckily, we will be adopting a new reading/language arts series starting in 2013-2014. So my little issue is how do we fit all the pieces together and make it work for this year? Our current reading series has a rigorous fidelity check *shudder* but it doesn't coincide with Common Core. Rumor on the block is that they, the district, will not being holding us to the fidelity check but it has not been written in stone or paper for that matter

Update: Woo-hoo! Our county has formally announced that the fidelity checks of our McMillian series will not be used this year!!! Hooray! We will be using the Common Core standards in conjunction with our Danielson model for evaluations.

The good news is that I got the green light to implement the Daily 5! I dabbled in it a bit last year. From the small amount of time I used it I saw some amazing interactions between the students. I loved the "Coach or Time" strategy for Buddy Reading. I feel like the Daily 5 will work with the Common Core. I am not sure what I should do about the basal series.So that is were you, fellow blogging teacher, come in. Woo-hoo!

Tell me your experience and advice with Common Core and/or Daily 5. I would love to hear any suggestions on how to make it work! :)


3 comments:

  1. I started trying the Daily 5 at the end of last year, and am excited to try it out full blast this year. My school doesn't use a basal series at all, we have a huge stocked book room and every teacher has a core of leveled readers available in their rooms as well. We follow the Jan Richardson style of guided reading.
    Most basal series have started to incorporate guided reading sets though, so there might be materials available to request from your district, if they haven't already provided the teachers with them.

    Everybody has been talking about common core, but I think VA is still on the SOL bandwagon. I would suppose that they will eventually come on over to that way of thinking. There are a million common core activities available on TpT though, and a lot of them free. I'd start perusing there for some fun stuff.

    thanks for stopping by my blog!
    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the Daily 5! I will have to research Jan Richardson more. Thanks for the suggestions!:) And I can't get enough of TpT and Pintrest! I am sure I am not the only one who gets sucked into all of the ideas, posters, and pins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey,
    I've been using the D5 for the past few years with my second graders. Next, I'll be teaching first, so I'll have to see how that goes...*fingers crossed* I have a few D5 freebies on my site, so head on over and take a peek. I'm your newest follower! I appreciate all of the sharing of advice and ideas. Come on over for a visit sometime.
    Corinna
    Teaching Fabulous Firsties!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :)